Liquor Liability Insurance for Commercial Entities & Private Organizations

Call 415-242-8777 Monday – Friday: 8 AM – 5:30 PM PST


Thanks O’Kane & Tegay! I’ve been a happy customer for a few years and have always appreciated the good rates. I’m also very impressed with their friendly, quick and efficient customer service. I highly recommend you call or visit these guys if you need a new insurance policy or want a better rate and/or better service. —Brian B.
A friend of mine refered me to these guys for an event I was planning here in San Diego. Yes they are in San Francisco and I am in San Diego. I can not begin to tell you how easy this was. I dont understand insurance and I dont want to understand insurance. They helped me feel at ease from start to finish. Fast easy affordable. I never thought that existed when dealing with insurance before now. Great job and thanks for the help! —Doof R.

Who Needs Liquor Liability Insurance?

The term “liquor liability” refers to your legal and / or financial responsibility for the actions of people who consume alcohol – and the consequences of those actions.

Regardless of whether you are a small business owner or an individual, you can be sued if a person who became intoxicated at your establishment or event causes harm to others or damages their property. You are said to have liquor liability if you…

  • Sell or distribute alcohol at your place of business.
  • Allow patrons or guests to bring their own alcohol and consume it on your premises (i.e., you own a BYOB business).
  • Serve alcohol at an event you’re hosting.
  • Allow others to serve alcohol at your venue.

Think of a Liquor Liability Insurance policy as your last line of defense when you’re slapped with a lawsuit despite your best-laid risk management plans. If your business is sued for serving the intoxicated person that harmed a third party, you can rely on your policy to cover your…

  • Lawyers’ fees.
  • Damages arising from the liquor-related accident.
  • Judgments or settlements.
  • Other court expenses.

What is Liquor Liability?

For commercial entities that sell liquor or alcohol beverages, such as

  • bars
  • restaurants
  • caterers
  • reception halls

For individuals or organizations who host parties and events where alcohol is served.

Every time you host an event or invite patrons to drink at your bar, you open yourself up to the risk of a liquor liability lawsuit. And just the cost of hiring an attorney can be enough to financially strap a small business or an individual party host.

friends with drinks



Work with an Expert Who Knows Your Industry


Get Quotes from the Country’s Top-Rated Insurance Companies


Select Your Quote

Work with an Expert Who Knows Your Industry

O’Kane & Tegay Insurance Brokers takes the guesswork out of choosing the right liquor liability policy for your bar, restaurant, food service business, restaurant, organization or hosted party. We connect you to an industry specialist, which means you’ll talk to someone who spends their whole day helping businesses like yours.

Need to update your policy? No problem. Reach out to your agent at any time and enjoy the quick response you need as a 21st-century business owner, paired with service so friendly and helpful it feels like a throwback.

Our team stays up to date on the latest insurance laws and coverage changes, so you can rest easy knowing you’ll get the right coverage for the work you do.

Get Quotes from the Country’s Top-Rated Insurance Companies

As an insurance broker, O’Kane & Tegay’s role is to give you access to policies from the best insurance companies in the country. Whether you need Liquor Liability Insurance, General Liability Insurance or a Liquor Bond to comply with state laws, you can find it here.

We’ve already helped hundreds of restaurants, foodservice companies and bars to protect their community. Discover why they consistently rate us 4.9 out of 5 stars.

Select Your Quote

Have questions about the pros and cons of your quotes, our experts are here through every step of the process. Making sure you get the right coverage for the best price. We help keep your business safe.


General Liability Insurance

The foundation of your business protection plan. This policy offers an array of liability coverage and ensures your business can survive an expensive court battle without depleting your personal finances. After all, it only takes one trip, fall, or hot-coffee burn to cost your bar, catering business, or fine-dining establishment big time. General Liability shields your small food business from the following third party liability risks:

  • Bodily injuries that happen on your premises.
  • Damage to others’ property.
  • Advertising and personal damages.

Liquor Liability Insurance

You’ll want to invest in your own Liquor Liability Policy if:

  • You live in a state that requires Liquor Liability Insurance before you can sell or furnish alcohol to your customers.
  • You sell or serve alcohol.
  • You have a BYOB policy and patrons consume alcohol at your establishment.


Top 5 Risks

  • Impaired Driving
  • Fights
  • Sexual Assaults
  • Alcohol Poisoning
  • Slips and falls

Real Talk About Serving and Selling Alcohol

Check out our blog for the latest on managing risk for liquor liability.

Sample Certificates of Insurance

Sample Certificates of Insurance are available upon request.


Is Liquor Liability Coverage just for restaurants and bars?

What risks do I need to consider when starting a restaurant?

Send your questions and get answers from our experts.

Contact Us. Call 415-242-8777 Monday – Friday: 8 AM – 5:30 PM PST